Saturday, December 17, 2011

cuticle treatment: which one is the best?

Baby it's cold outside.

I have dry skin. In the winter, that means my hands are flaky and my cuticles are rough. In an earlier post, I discussed a hand model's secret to perfectly moisturized hands. I've been using that secret for a month now, and am happy to report major success.

However, my cuticles still need extra attention or else my nails look terrible. I have tried many products out there so it only makes sense for me to give an objective review. Hopefully this helps you!

1. Sally Hansen Vita Surge Cuticle Gel

source: walgreens.com

This comes in a nail polish-like bottle with a felt tip applicator. The gel is cold and tingles a little when you first apply it. There are red beads that are supposed to be "vitamins" or something but they don't do much except frustrate me when they don't burst. After massaging the gel into my cuticles for about a minute, my nails do look replenished. However, the effect is short-lived and I find myself needing to reapply frequently to avoid dryness. Still, if you work in an office, you may prefer this product as it doesn't ruin your keyboard with oil.

Score: 3/5

2. Burt's Bees Lemon Cuticle Butter

source: drugstore.com

This is probably the most widely known/used cuticle product out there. It comes in a tin and you take some on your finger and directly apply it to your cuticles. This is the least messy in terms of application, but leaves slightly most residue/oil than the Sally Hansen Vita Surge Gel. I prefer this over the Gel because it is easy to carry around (tin doesn't spill in your purse; nail polish bottle might).

Score: 4.5/5

3. Sally Hansen Vitamin E Oil Treatment

source: walgreens.com

Like the Gel, this also comes in a nail polish bottle. Instead of felt, it is a bristle applicator. If you've ever gotten a professional manicure before, this is likely the type of product they used. It is a bit messy to apply but once you rub it in, it leaves your cuticles very moisturized and nourished. I usually do this right before bed so that I don't have to touch things. When I wake up in the morning, I can still see the oil but most of it has either absorbed into my cuticles or into my bedsheets.

Score: 5/5

4. Olive Oil

source: strawberryblu.com

For those into home remedies, this is the easiest trick ever. Just dab and massage some olive oil from your kitchen pantry into your nails. Olive oil strengthens your nails and protects your cuticles. It is the messiest to apply, so do this before bed.

Score: 4.5/5

Keep those nails beautiful. You never know when your boyfriend will propose and you will take pictures of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment